This is a rich and flavoursome dish great for a weeknight or entertaining with friends. It is one of my favourites and pairs beautifully with a full bodied Australian Red.
Coq Au Vin
- 8 Thigh Fillets of Chicken lightly dusted in Flour
- 2 Cloves Diced Garlic
- 15 Small Shallots
- 200 grams Button Mushroom
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 75 grams Butter
- 200 grams Pancetta Diced
- 500 Mls Red Wine
- 400 Mls Chicken Stock
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 Sprigs of Thyme
- 100 Mls Cream
- 1 Egg Yolk
- Add half the Olive Oil and Butter to the cast iron pan with your whole onions, garlic and pancetta and cook until the fat in the pancetta renders out and the onions have softened.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 3-5 minutes before removing the onions, pancetta and mushrooms from the pot.
- Add the remaining Oil and Butter to brown the chicken on both sides and then add back your other ingredients.
- Add the Wine and de-glaze your pan for a few minutes. Now add your herbs and chicken stock and lightly simmer for 20 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the chicken, onions, mushrooms and pancetta from the pot and place aside while you reduce uncovered on the over for about 10 minutes.
- Whisk the egg yolk and cream together and then turn off the heat and whisk through your sauce.
- Add back the other ingredients and serve with some mash potato's or sides of your choice.