A beautiful soft Italian cheese that can be used for salads, platters and pizza. It is one of the easier cheeses to make at home and is certainly a crowd pleaser.
Servings: 4 Serves
- Slotted Spoon
- Cheese Cloth
- 4 Ltrs Milk (Full Cream un-homogenised will give better results)
- 2 ml Sodium Chloride
- 1.5 Tablets Rennet (I have Mad Millie Range) Dissolve in 1/4 cup water (boiled and cooled)
- 2 tsp Citric Acid Dissolve in 1/4 cup water (boiled and cooled)
- Add the Milk and Citric Acid into a saucepan and bring to 32C on the stove top stirring constantly.
- Add the dissolved rennet tablet to your mix and place in sink of hot water for 30 mins.
- Cut your curd into 3 cm cubes and return to the stove heat up to 42C and then removed from the heat.
- Transfer the curd to a muslin lined colander and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Now bring your water to about 80C (you can go hotter if you need but you will need to be careful not to burn yourself)
- Divide the curd into four even amounts and submerge into the hot water for 10-15 seconds.
- With gloves on bring the curd out of the water and squeeze it together remove the excess whey.
- Submerge again and now stretch and turn over on itself until it is not easily stretching and return to the hot water for another 10-15 seconds.
- Repeat 2 times or until you get a shine on the surface and then form into a ball and place in cooled salt water.
- Repeat with the remaining curd.
We have served here with a tomato and basil salad a very traditional way to enjoy home-made Mozzarella.