An expressive, regionally distinctive wine with brambly red fruits and hints of fresh bruised herbs, which reflect the land that produces this wine. Early morning harvesting ensures prime fruit ripeness.
This year was later than recent vintages and was more like the seasons we experienced in the 2000’s. Rainfall up to mid-December meant very little irrigation was needed on established vines. The heatwave in late January was well forecast, so thankfully we were able to manage harvest accordingly. Largely due to a light frost in November and unseasonal weather during flowering, crop loads were below average and 20% lower than 2018. We enjoyed a very good quality growing season with the reds having good, deep colours and great varietal characters.
This wine comes from vineyards located in the heart of the “Red Mile” known as the Coonawarra. The vines are tended gently, producing perfectly ripe, healthy grapes with low yields, and harvested at precisely the right time to best represent a “sense of place.”
– Whole bunches , hand-selected and picked in the cool of the early morning
– This fruit was then crushed and went through traditional open fermentation with 14-21 day extended skin contact.
– Pumped over three times daily to keep the cap moist and extract the flavours and colours.
– The ferments were racked into 50% new and seasoned French oak hogsheads and underwent malolactic fermentation. Racked off lees, then aged in the same oak for 8 months.
– Bottled directly thereafter without fining and with minimal filtration to capture the purity of taste and texture of our Cabernet Sauvignon